Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial day

This memorial day marks the third year that I don't have my dear Aunt with me. This is the aunt mentioned in earlier posts.
I miss her very very much.
My cousin, my aunts daughter, asked an interesting question:
Why do we remember the date of our loved ones death?? Why is it important for us to remember this??

Memorial day is also a day to remember our soldiers that have served and serve today.
It is also a day to remember the soldiers for Christ--
*Mother Theresa--she loved everyone, she loved the unlovable. She touched the untouchables, that no one else would touch. She gave her life everyday to spread the love of Christ to others.
*David Livingstone- He was an explorer, the first European to see Victoria Falls in Africa. He was also a minister and opened Africa up to evangelism and Christ.
*Martin Luther King Jr.--not only was he a civil rights leader, but he too was a minister and evangelist spreading the love of Jesus. He was killed to prevent him from spreading the gospel.
*Thomas Aquinas--an Italian priest
*William Wilberforce--he lead a campaign in England to abolish the slave trade there
*James Hudson Taylor--a missionary to china
*C.S Lewis
*John Jay--one of our founding fathers
To name just a few.
Remember our soldiers from all wars, that fought for us to have the freedoms we have today.
And remember our loved ones that are gone.

2 comments:

Adrianne said...

Jim Elliot also comes to mind. There are so many!

Thanks for the reminder....

Pamela said...

Interesting. I read on wiki about Jim Elliot. I couldn't remember all the people my pastor spoke about. I thought it was interesting about Livingstone. "Livingstone I presume?"
I never ever knew that about him!!!!