Thursday, October 05, 2006

The dreaded Kilowatt update



The picture is Reddy Kilowatt, from the electric company. He's been around for a while.
I received the dreaded Electric bill today. Again I was absolutely stumped. We used a whopping 1210 kWh!! Down from the 1981 of last month. Granted we only used the air conditioner a couple of times during the billing period, but that's a huge drop in usage IMO.
It was however, up 10 kWh from last year at the same time.
I'm still going to watch my usage and continue to track and post about the dreaded electric bill!!
I think this might be something I continue to track throughout the year. I can make it a companion journal along with my Seven things project!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! That's a HUGE reduction. I mean, you cut your KWH usage by almost 40%.

We got out bill today too, and it's up to 1593 KWH which is up 151 KWH from last year. I don't know what to do, we've tried and tried.

We're thinking of moving to a newer place that is more energy efficient.

Way to go, though! :D

Pamela said...

It's only huge because we didn't use the AC much. It's still up from this time last yr. In 12 yrs I have rarely seen the meter reader here. Ans I would know if someone was in the yard. I think they just guesstimate the meter reading. I'm going to watch this for a year now. See how the usage progresses.

Sara said...

Nice reduction! I've never really watched our consumption too much...especially now that we're in an apt. I'll have check it out. All I know is that our budget billing for electric is $21 a month. Yay for small apts!

Even so...I need to remind myself to watch my consumption, just to be a conscious consumer of resources. This is especially true since all of other utilities are paid. I can let the water run all day if I want...but I have to remember that even if I don't pay for it, it's still being used up. Thanks for the reminder to be mindful. :)

squire said...

We are using less electricity but our bill is not going down very much because we just had a 12 1/2% increase in the price of a KWH.