Sunday, August 26, 2007

On having a Motive...


There are sometimes negative connotations to having a "motive".
Here is the definition of the word motive:
something (as a need or desire) that causes a person to act

That doesn't sound very negative to me! Does it sound negative to you?
Have you ever had a motive for something?

I have a desire to act on something and that's why I crochet and give away afghans.

I crochet afghans. Big ones, little ones, baby blankets, afghans for adults. I give them all away or donate them. I rarely keep an afghan for myself.
I have no motive for doing that other than it brings me great joy to give them away and it gives me pleasure to create these blankets.
So why do people think there is a motive behind something that is done for pleasure? Is it jealousy? Dislike? Hatred? Envy? What is it?

For example, the afghan above. I have been wanting to make this pattern for years and I finally did. I didn't care for the way it turned out but, it gave me pleasure to create it and my daughter did like it!! I was going to donate it to a worthy cause but she decided that she would like it. So it is now my daughters blanket!!
That's my idea of a motive!!

No comments: