Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Washing Machine PSA----

I've learned a few things about my washing machine.

I have a front loader but most of these ideas will work with a top loader too.

*You only need to use about a quarter of the amount of detergent that the manufacturer suggests. I use ONE TABLESPOON of powder detergent in my loads.

*If you use liquid fabric softener, you should dilute it first.

*You should run at least one Hot cycle a week.

*You need to leave the door open after use to dry out.

*You need to remove the dispenser to dry out after use.

My machine needed some fixing. I called and the same day the guy came out. He also ran something through my washer because I had a huge detergent buildup in my washer which was causing odor issues. But it really wasn't all just the detergent build-up.

I couldn't believe when he told me to use only one quarter of the detergent I was using and to keep every thing open after use to air out, otherwise mold and fungus can grow.

I also washed my clothes and towels without any detergent for one cycle. I was surprised to see that I didn't need any because my clothes and towels were full of soap!!

The guy also told me to use at least a cup of bleach on hot at least once a month. I do that too to keep the icky stuff from growing but apparently that was not enough.

I heard a commercial on the radio for something called "Smelly Washer".

Go to This for more info and This site to order.

So, I am confident that after doing this that my washer will not have any odor anymore and my clothes and towels will smell good!!

I remember my top loader smelling even when I cleaned it and left it open to air dry after use.

I highly recommend this product!!

2 comments:

bp said...

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't know that about keeping the lid open. Good ideas!

Unknown said...

These are all good tips.

There are a number of cleaning products available for cleaning out your front loading HE washer. Affresh is one of them:
http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_425&products_id=151079

another is made by Tide:
http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_425&products_id=698887

They destroy the mold and bacteria that causes the odors in your washer. And who wants to wear clothes washed in mold and bacteria? Well worth buying.