Sunday, August 13, 2006

The log house

No, it's not a cabin--it's a house. And I live in it. Though I have to admit for the first 2 yrs of our marriage we used a wood stove to heat the place. Then we got a gas stove.
I grew up in the third largest city in my state. When I got married, I moved out to the country--and I really did not like it. It took me a good year to get used to living out in the middle of nowhere. But now, I wouldn't and couldn't live anywhere else. We even contemplated moving and decided we couldn't. I'm glad to stay here.
My house has 2 loft bedrooms that Dh closed off for the kiddos. Master bedroom and bath, office, kitchen, living room another bathroom/laundry room. No basement, no linen closet. But it's home, my home and I like it .
We've done a lot with the almost 3 acres we live on. Lot's of trees and plants and flowers planted. We tried a veggie garden and the soil is so sandy that nothing grew well. We'd have to haul in a ton of black dirt to get a good garden.
We have a lot of birds and wildlife living around here too, and that's great for bird watchers like me.
My two new goals besides the weekly seven are to make a great compost pile and cut back on my kilowatt usage. The house used about 1480 kWt last month and I want to lower that if I can!

No comments: