Monday, August 14, 2006

Wood Crochet hooks and yarn


I love wood crochet hooks and I love yarn.
About five years ago I was visiting my Aunt and she and her husband were making wood crochet hooks! So I came home and told dh that I wanted to make wood crochet hooks. DH turns pens on the lathe and he helped to turn some hooks, I did the rest of the work. Creating the hook, sanding, waxing the hooks. It gave me great pleasure to create wood hooks and to work beside my husband in his shop. I have made about 100 or so wood hooks and I have some in various stages of doneness. And I have given a bunch of them away too, to fellow crocheters. It is still fun to find a new wood that we haven't used yet on a pen or hook.
DH even bought me a mini lathe and gave me my own space out in his shop.
Last week I spent a few minutes out there and worked on a hook--it felt great. I haven't been out to the shop to work on anything since I was pregnant with my boy.
Now, about my yarn. I collect yarn. It's an obsession with me. I found some wonderful Lion brand Homespun baby yarn at the dollar store in the spring of 2005. I bought about 48 skeins of it. Then I sent dh to buy more, then I went back to buy more!! I was embarassed to be buying so much yarn, but at a dollar it was a steal!! I ended up buying about 300 dollars worth of yarn at the dollar store.
So, what did I do with all that yarn? Well, I made baby blankets for women on a message board I belong to. And I made some memorial blankets for women that had lost their babies born too soon. And I made blankets for the hospital. And I ran out of yarn! But I found a place online that sells it inexpensively with virtually free shipping. So I ordered a bunch. And DH won some on E-bay.
Guess what? I only have some white and some yellow skeins left. I am finally done making blankets 18 months later. I am burned out with crocheting baby blankets now.
Time to move on to those needlepoint chair covers for my mom. I have completed two of them and have two left. I'm hoping to finish them by spring.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That is so neat about the crochet hooks. I know how to knit--poorly, but I'd love to learn how to crochet.

Every year we have an Arts fair, and there's one women who sells hand-spun and hand-dyed yarn. It is beautiful. I try to get some when I can.

The needlepoint sounds like a neat project. My newest thing is crewel embroidery.