Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Animals

I have always had a cat or a dog. I used to be a huge cat person but when I got married I started to like dogs more.

Then I started visiting my Grandma, who lived with my aunt. You've read about them here.

My aunt had Jack Russells and I told my husband that I had
to get one. The timing wasn't right but it wasn't too long before we got our puppy.

One time vising my aunt, I had a dream about my new dogs name. He would be named Otis.

We found a woman that breeds JRT's and we went to look at puppies. She had some 10 week old puppies that we thought we would be choosing from. Instead, when we got there, there were also three brothers that were about 3 months old. The last of their litter to be chosen.

We visited with each puppy and then husband and I talked and agreed on one dog. That was our Otis. The breeder told us we had chosen the most loving of the three puppies.

We took Otis home and he was my buddy. He went everywhere with me. He even flew out to visit my aunt and grandma!!

When Otis was 7 months old, his mom had another litter of puppies. We also went to get one of those puppies. We named him Louie. He and Otis were the best of friends. They played, ate and slept together. They were like, well the brothers that they were!!

They both were my buddies. They went a lot of places with us and they were the best lap dogs.

Then Otis got sick and died. I still miss him even though it's been 3 months now.

Louie still misses him a lot too. And I can't do anything for Louie.

When my aunt died, about 6 months later my husband drove out to Maryland to get her dogs. She had 2 JRT's and a mixed dog.

We still have the female--her name is Sophie. She is the same age as Louie and Otis. So they are still young at 6 yrs. Louie has known Sophie his whole life so the transition of her living here hasn't been too hard. She's been with us almost 4 years now and is a good fit for us. Plus I think she keeps Louie company now.

I know that one day I will get more dogs, and they will likely be Jack Russells. And I already have names picked out for them.

I also know that another dog can never replace my sweet Otis.

There is a fun animal site that always makes me laugh and smile. It's over on the sidebar and it's called Cute Overload. I promise if you are feeling down it will make you laugh and smile.

1 comment:

bp said...

My favorite pet was one I had as a child name Bambi, a white Eskimo spitz. No other pet ever compared to her!