Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall...........and grasshoppers

Today is the first official day of fall.

The autumnal equinox.

It's also my favorite time of year.

The cool crispness of the mornings.

The beautiful trees changing colors.

I had always wanted to be married in the fall, and I was!!

This year I have noticed a lot of grasshoppers around, so has my little guy. We are both fascinated with them this year.

Right now they are busy mating and laying eggs. I noticed a female waling around getting ready to lay her eggs.

You might ask how I know it was a female and readying to lay her eggs. Well, I looked it up based on what she looked like.

The information said she was ovapositing her eggs. It was fascinating to watch.

The little guy likes to catch them in his hands or extend his fingers so they crawl onto them. It's been fun with the grasshoppers this year.

2 comments:

bp said...

Thanks for sharing the fun grasshopper story! Caleb wouldn't touch them I don't think. He got a little habitat for his birthday that you can catch things and look at in a magnifying glass. He wanted Grandad to catch them!

Longevity said...

Last time I was there, we both caught one, too, Mom! I forgot to tell you that!