Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The day the music died....

February 3rd 1959 is the day Buddy Holly and other musicians died in the plane crash near Clear Lake Iowa.

Fellow musicians Ritchie Valens and JP "The Big Bopper" Richardson were also killed. The crash and the date February 3, 1959 were immortalised as the "the day the music died" in the Don McLean song American Pie.

Wiki Worth the read.

Buddy Holly is one of my favorite singers.

American Pie by don McLean

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.

No comments: