Friday, May 01, 2009

May 1 , 2009



Today is May day. The first of May. I seem to have a faint memory of making Mayday baskets on this day when I was in elementary school.

Anyway, just a tiny bit of info about may day:

Roots of May Day celebration in America:
The Puritans frowned on May Day, so the day has never been celebrated with as much enthusiasm in the United States as in Great Britain. But the tradition of celebrating May Day by dancing and singing around a maypole, tied with colorful streamers or ribbons, survived as a part of the English tradition. The kids celebrating the day by moving back and forth around the pole with the the streamers, choosing of May queen, and hanging of May baskets on the doorknobs of folks -- are all the leftovers of the old European traditions.


The weather here is improving though it is cool and rainy sometimes. We need the rain though.

We will wait til the end of the month to put in our garden. Tomatoes for sure, some peppers, hot peppers and I want to try some carrots and herbs again.
I really want an additional garden but it would have to be so far away from the other one, which would make it hard to water etc. I want lettuce but maybe I will do that in containers. My brother is doing it in pails and it's always good!

The end of school is coming up this month. I have the boy signed up for T ball and swimming and I am sure we will find other things to do throughout the summer.

It's that time of year to make dental appointments for me and the little guy. It's something I dread and I find myself putting it off unfortunately.

We found a new church home. But it's not exactly new. We have been going on and off for about twelve years and decided to make it our church home.
This church has a ton to offer for everyone of every age. We are currently taking a gifts class, only two weeks left for that. I believe I will be taking the summer off from any class or small group but will start again in the fall. The church offers a Beta class that I am interested in.

Daughter recently moved into a new place. I hope she likes it. No roommate this time. It's still close to her work. She has been coming over each Thursday while the husband and I take our class. Little guy enjoys when big sister comes over!!

I am currently crocheting some tiny preemie blankets for charity, along with regular sized baby blankets and the prayer shawls. With a few baby hats thrown in along the way. I find that I like making baby hats more than the bigger hats. Little guy put in his order for a new winter hat already!!!
I'd really like to have a go at crocheting socks!!

The dogs are both doing well after their bump removal and gum surgery. Off all antibiotics and pain pills now--thankfully. They won't have to go back to the vet til next spring!

My mom is still doing well thankfully. She will be 81 in July. I am glad she is in good health.

I was at the store today behind someone asking about cigarettes. I am so glad I quit when I did. One pack of cigarettes is seven dollars!!!!! I couldn't believe it. But the government is taxing them heavily.

I think that's all I have for this post!

Have a great day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear...

No comments: