Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Today in History....

*January 27, 1888 National Geographic Society founded

On January 27, 1888, the National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C., for "the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge."

*1945--Soviet troops liberated the Nazi concentration camps Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland.

Wow, I didn't know this. I've been to the Yad Vashem Museum in Israel and it was breath taking. The childrens part especially. It made me cry.

*1967 The Apollo I fire killed astronauts Grissom, White, and Chaffee during a simulated launch at Cape Canaveral.

*1973 The Vietnam peace accords were signed in Paris.

I remember watching the Vietnam war reports on the TV.

*1984 - Carl Lewis bettered his own two-year-old record by 9-1/4 inches when he set a new, world indoor record with a long-jump mark of 28 feet, 10-1/4 inches. The track event was held in New York City.

I've always loved watching the Olympics and watched these Olympics that summer.

*2006 Western Union delivered its last telegram.

No comments: