Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Trumpet Vines

Flower buds--they wil bloom at the end of July through August.


The stalk of Grandma's Vine.


Grandma's Trumpet Vine.



This is a very special Trumpet Vine. It came from my Grandma's yard about 12 years ago.

My grandma and great grandma lived in this house for about 60 years. My mom remembers the trumpet vine from many years ago, and I always remembered the vine because it has pretty flowers.

My husband and I were at my grandma's house about 12 years ago visiting. The huge trumpet vine that you see above with the big roots was attached to grandma's wood pole for her clothes line. The pole was rotted and grandma said we could have the vine.

We struggled to dig deep enough to get the roots but managed to accomplish this.

We wrapped the root ball in burlap and dirt and hauled it home.

We also managed to get some smaller vines from around her yard.

Today, this is the big vine in all it's glory.

It hasn't blossomed yet--that will happen in a few weeks and it will be beautiful.

We have many of grandma's Trumpet vines around the yard and the hummingbirds love them as much as I do.

I'm thankful we had the opportunity to get these vines and bring them home.

1 comment:

bp said...

I like the story that goes along with the trumpet vines. I'll look forward to pictures when they blossom.