Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Eyeglasses



I've really been depressed about my eyes for the last couple of years.

I love to read. I used to read at least two books a week.

I first got glasses when I was 30 years old. I only needed them to drive with and I could really drive perfectly fine without them, I still can.

It's just the reading part.

Today I had my yearly eye exam and I had a talk with the eye doctor about my glasses and my reading. He came up with a wonderful solution that practically guarantees I will be reading more.

See, last year I needed to get "progressive" lenses. That's a new name for bifocal glasses.

I ordered them, got them and just couldn't get used to them at all. In the year I have had them I barely wear them, only to drive and if I am working with crochet thread instead of yarn, or needlepointing. And I still couldn't get used to them.

At the doctor today, the assistant and the doctor both explained it to me after I told them what my issues were.

When they make "progressive" lenses, they don't go from side to side on the glasses. They are just like a half circle. Well, that really only works if you move your head from side to side when you read!!

I am not a head mover. I am an eye mover so the glasses weren't working for me!!

I was so relieved to hear this. The solution?? To get new half glasses where the lens is the WHOLE glass.

So, in essence, these are called "granny" glasses.

And I don't care!!!

All I care about is that I will enjoy reading again!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

bp said...

I'm glad you'll be able to enjoy your hobby again! I need to go get my eyes checked. I'm thinking about going back to contacts. I do not like that puff of air thingy though!