Monday, April 20, 2009

Taming the tongue...............

The list below comes from This study. I linked because I am not posting the whole study, just the list of 20 verses about taming the tongue.

I thought it was timely given the Memory verse this week. I have posted about taming the tongue before too. Mostly I have an issue with gossip.

People don't realize the power the tongue has when we speak words into existence.

Here, then, is the list of twenty:

1.I resolve to ask God for wisdom to speak out of a single-minded devotion to him. (1:5)
2.I resolve to boast only in the exultation I receive in Jesus Christ and also in the humiliation I receive for Jesus Christ. (1:9-10)
3.I resolve to set a watch over my mouth. (1:13)
4.I resolve to be constantly quick to hear and slow to speak. (1:19)
5.I resolve to learn the gospel way of speaking to both rich and poor. (2:1-4)
6.I resolve to speak in the present consciousness of my final judgment. (2:12)
7.I resolve never to stand on anyone’s face with the words I employ. (2:16)
8.I resolve never to claim as reality in my life what I do not truly experience. (3:14)
9.I resolve to resist quarrelsome words as evidence of a bad heart that needs to be mortified. (4:1)
10.I resolve never to speak decided evil against another out of a heart of antagonism. (4:11)
11.I resolve never to boast in anything but what I will accomplish. (4:13)
12.I resolve to speak as one subject to the providences of God. (4:15)
13.I resolve never to grumble. The judge is at the door. (5:9)
14.I resolve never to allow anything but total integrity in everything I say. (5:12)
15.I resolve to speak to God in prayer whenever I suffer. (5:13)
16.I resolve to sing praises to God whenever I’m cheerful. (5:14)
17.I resolve to ask for the prayers of others when I’m in need. (5:14)
18.I resolve to confess it whenever I have failed. (5:15)
19.I resolve to pray with others for one another whenever I am together with them. (5:15)
20.I resolve to speak words of restoration when I see another wander. (5:19)

1 comment:

bp said...

This is an excellent resource, thanks for posting it. It fits perfectly with the memory verse!!