Friday, April 17, 2009

Ten years.............

It's been ten years this month that I quit working--sort of.

The first time I quit working was 1996, it was a week or so after my dad died and I put in my notice to quit at my job. I had worked there eight years. I loved my job. I worked as a lab tech at a clinic. But after I got married, instead of a 10 minute ride to work, I now had a 50 minute drive and it drove me nuts.

So, my husband and I talked it over and decided it was ok to quit.

I stayed home just for six months, because I did not like being home.

Then I got another job at the VA hospital here. the drive was about 40 minutes but it wasn't a bad drive since I had a relatively early starting and quitting time. I worked there for almost three years. My friend Kim worked there too and we worked together for those three year. We had also worked together at the clinic, which is where I met her.

The job I quit was the job at the VA. It's been ten years this month that I quit. I miss working because though I am not a huge people person, I miss the patients at the clinic and I really miss the Vets at the VA. I learned a lot from them all, and they were all very interesting to talk to.

I actually have worked a little bit since I quit working. Kim had a business that I worked at for about a year.

She had a new home cleaning business and I worked with her at that for a while in 2002-2003, before I got pregnant with my boy. We had a lot of fun since she was the boss! But really it was easy to work with her and we both enjoyed cleaning so it didn't seem like a "job".

I am happy to be home this time and I don't foresee going back to work any time soon.

Though right before I got pregnant I was thinking of going back to school. That may yet happen!

No comments: