Tuesday, January 29, 2008

O Jerusalem

Tonight for some reason I am remembering my trip to Israel in 1999, It was June and we went for six days only. I could spend forever there!! We did a lot in 6 days.
The weather was beautiful. Most of the food was wonderful, the almonds and baklava were the best I have ever had, and the company was great.
Dh and I went with about 5 others from the church we were currently at.
It was magnificient to be there. We went to and Mt Ebal, above Shechem, Jacobs well, The Dead sea, the wailing wall, The temple mount, Jericho, Masada and the Old city, We stayed on the Mt of Olives and prayed at the garden of Gethsemane. The very last day we went to Yad Vashem. I am thankful we waited til the last day--it was a very solemn experience. I cried a lot and most especially at the childrens part. It was a packed visit.
I even rode a camel near Jericho. There was a young boy with his camel and I asked if I could ride it, he said yes!! I screamed! A camel is NOT like a horse, it's gait is not smooth at all.
There was a Russian woman at the Dead sea and we carried on a conversation. It was funny because I was wearing shorts and a t shirt to swim in and she was telling me to take off my shorts and t shirt and swim only in a bra and underwear!! The dead sea is oily. But you can float in it and you can see Jordan from the sea.
Near Jericho, we saw the Monastery of Temptation. It was an incredible visit.
Masada was very interesting. Very high up.
I would go back to Israel in a minute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!

That is one of my greatest goals in life--go to the Holy Land!