Thursday, February 14, 2008

Birds

I love my birds. My husband built an enormous bird feeder many years ago. It is about 6 feet long and has a roof for the birds.
The stupid squirrels are always eating the bird food and peanuts.
We have lots of birds around here and they are fun to watch. The big feeder is out on our deck so we can watch while we are sitting at the table.
The Bluejays are just beautiful but they are so mean. They also like the peanuts.
We have Cardinals--they are gorgeous and they are one bird that is monogamous. Sometimes the female sits in a tree nearby and the male will bring food to her. One day there were two sets of Cardinals in the yard.
There are also chickadees, And we have a downy woodpecker in the neighborhood!! In the warm weather that bird pecks on our log house.
My favorite winter bird is the Dark eyed Junco. They come down here from Canada to winter!! They are pretty too and they like to eat off the ground, so they are often by our door. One winter we found a dead Junco. I am almost positive it was not a well bird.
My favorite bird in the summer is the Hummingbird. There will be more posts on that though. They generally arrive here the first week of May, although last year they were a few days late and I was getting worried. But we had a good Hummingbird season last year!!

No comments: