Saturday, February 23, 2008

Greeley Colorado

I've been thinking about my dad recently. I regret not asking him all these questions while he was alive but who thinks about asking questions while they are alive?? I know I didn't. I always knew my dad lived in Colorado for a while but I never knew the details until now. I wish he was here to talk about his war experiences. What a lot of history that would be.
My Dad came from England with his family when he was young and his dad died when my dad was 13. So I never knew that grandpa. My grandma I remember though. We called her "Mum" or Grandma Andy.
They lived in New York, in Flushing. When my dad came back after WWII, everyone moved to Greeley. His mum, brother/sister in law and his two sisters. They all lived in Greeley for about three years, then the brother moved to St.Louis, Missouri and the sisters moved back to New York. Mum stayed in Greeley and she lived there about 20 years or so, then she moved to St. Louis where she died. We saw her once a year.
My dad worked for the telephone company in Greeley but he didn't last there long--he was color blind!!! What a job to have if you are colorblind!! He couldn't distinguish the wire colors.
My dad eventually moved back to NY and then traveled for his job, where he met my mom. They met in Illinois where my mom was born. Then my dad moved to Minnesota. My mom had lived in Minnesota for a while when she was young too. They got married here and raised us all here.
That's where I was raised and still live.
If your parents are still alive, ask them the questions you want now, before it's too late. There is very little of my dad's family left so I can't find out everything I want to and it makes me sad.

No comments: