Monday, February 25, 2008

Choices

Do you get overwhelmed by the amount of choices these days?? I sometimes do and if I am not organized, I find it difficult to buy something.
Step into the grocery store and look down practically any aisle. Look at peanut butter for example. How many choices do you have?? Several brands at least, cream and chunky.
Jelly is the same--lots of choices. Toothpaste, crackers, orange juice, cookies, crackers, even MILK all come with a variety of choices. Virtually everything comes with at least two choices. Try buying baby food if you don't make your own--it is overwhelming.
Ever try to buy a pair of plain old jeans?? You can't anymore. There is stone washed, acid washed, or faded, relaxed or baggy fit, button fly or zipper. Boot leg, flare or straight leg!! Too many choices!!!
It's not only clothing or food either. It's 401K choices, medical coverage, buying a television or a car, almost anything comes with many choices.
I believe that sometimes less can be more. Limited options can be liberating while more choices are stress inducing.
I had two totally different birth experiences with my children and I fully believe that less is more-- in anything we choose.
Here's a good book on the subject:
The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less
By Barry Schwartz

1 comment:

bp said...

I enjoyed that. I'll have to write that book title down to remember it. I totally know what you mean about finding a plain pair of jeans!