Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Message board ruminations

I’ve learned a lot about message boards. I joined my first message board in 2001. The following thoughts are a conglomeration of almost all of the message boards I have been a part of. My husband agrees that there are a ton of issues on message boards too. He belongs to several woodworking boards that have had issues similar to mine.
Most message boards are for three reasons:
1. Support
2. Exchange of information
3. Advice
What I have also learned about message boards is that Communication is difficult. It is difficult to hear the tone on a message board, people are not always clear in their typing, and I believe that can lead to:
1. Gossip
2. Miscommunication
3. Misunderstanding
4. Hurt feelings.
5. Assumptions
My thought has always been if you have something to ask someone, ask the person instead of assuming something. That always leads to even more issues.

I have seen miscommunication and lack of communication ruin message boards. I have seen many many people hurt by actions that resulted from a lack of communication or miscommunication and gossip. How can you resolve something if you don’t talk to people? How can you come to a conclusion if you don’t talk to people? Instead what I have seen is gossip and lack of communication. I have seen people that feel inadequate make up gossip that has been hurtful. I was the recipient of nasty gossip at one time. Apparently I made someone feel inadequate with my housekeeping/childcare skills and of my crocheting. This was another mother too.But this woman didn’t come to me, instead she started hurtful gossip about me!! And other women that I thought were friends joined in. Did one of those women come to me to discuss any issues??? No, they didn’t.

It truly is baffling to me. When did trust, confidence and communication become SO hard it just stops? Why does this happen among friends? Is it so hard to just e mail or PM or IM someone to clear something up?? To communicate??

Then there is the gossip. I know that I struggle with gossip on a daily basis. The Bible has a lot to say about gossip. Here is just one verse:

1 Timothy 5:13
*And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.*

Just to be crystal clear on the subject of gossip—I have done my share and above that of gossiping. It is quite possibly the hardest issues to work on. It’s so easy to just say something. But I try to work on it daily and I believe I am making progress.

With recent events on message boards lately, I have found my heart is not really in it anymore. I need to spend less time on the internet anyway.

2 comments:

Tangie said...

Hi! I've been making "multiple" visits because I don't get to do "joined up" reading as I'm constantly being climbed and needed by the little one. It's quiet so I can comment! I like this entry - and what is more baffling, is that communication and difficult subjects *should* be easier to approach when it's typing and faceless which makes it even more unacceptable not to try it out! Hope to hear from you soon.

Anonymous said...

You summed up *my* feelings perfectly.