Sunday, March 30, 2008

Five weeks!!


That is a picture of a male Ruby throated hummingbird. They visit my area starting about May 5th or so.

They are the only hummingbird that comes to my part of the United States.

We are bird watchers and my husband has planted our yard with all Hummingbird friendly plants and flowers.

Each year we look forward to the birds returning and watching them stake out their territory and do their mating dances and watching the fighting! Then we get to watch the babies as they grow. One day I would like to find a nest but so far, in 14 years, I have not had any luck with that.

They are fascinating little creatures to watch and it is incredible how they function. They are a magnificent creature to behold.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I just put my feeders up! hummers have been spotted north of here, so I expect mine to show up at the feeders very soon! Needless to say, we'll be playing in the room with the window that looks out onto the feeders :)

Pamela said...

YAY!! My son is fascinated by the birds.
We just got about 4 inches of heavy wet snow and our ground is still frozen.
I am envious!
The hummers are usually here by May 5th though and I am looking forward to it.