Monday, March 31, 2008

What I've learned about the internet

And message boards. In no particular order.

*never assume anything

*never assume anyone is your friend

*people on the ‘net embellish

*anything posted is open for ridicule

*people that post on message boards do have friends in real life

*never pm or e mail anything you don’t want others to know

*never publish private messages or e mails

*people will always mock kind gestures

*even if you have met someone, sometimes you can’t trust them

*you cannot change peoples opinions of yourself

*people will always think you have a motive for doing something kind

*if you own a board, have clear and concise rules

*don’t have separate rules for mods/admins

*respect is a two way street

*rarely is the whole story ever known

*inaccuracies abound on the 'net, sometimes they are harmful

*sometimes people like drama

*there is even drama on a crochet board

*women can be catty

*sometimes the hurt isn't a lot, but it's hurt none the less

*never have “private” forums because they really aren’t private

*nothing is private on the ‘net

*it doesn’t matter if you get hurt, people will always justify their behavior

*don’t expect an apology

*there is always a ripple effect

*don’t think you can ever be a part of a message board community, even if you post and get to know others on the board

*there are some worthless crap posts out there, don’t assume your posts are not WCP even if you didn't intend for them to be

*not everyone that posts on message boards is socially inept

*Don't give your input, even when it's asked because it will be seen as complaining.

*don't tell the board owners if you have a problem, or issue,or opinion, even if they ask. It will be seen as complaining

*be careful what you share

*post count means nothing

*my internet world is getting smaller and smaller

*nothing shocks me anymore

~~I'm surprised there isn't even one comment on this post since a lot of people have read it!

Psalm 34:13-14
13 Keep your tongue from evil,
And your lips from speaking deceit.
14 Depart from evil and do good;
Seek peace and pursue it.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I'll be the first to comment then.
If you have anything to add to the list, please feel free to leave a comment here and I can add it. Or you can use the e mail info in my profile to e mail me!!

Anonymous said...

As far as comments are concerned...I can only nod my head in agreement to everything you said.

I never thought I could grow more cynical than I already was. I guess that's something that *I* learned.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything to add, Pam. That's all good advice. Knowing me, though, I'll still share too much and will probably get burned again. But to me, it's worth it. The connections are worth the pain. I still find comfort in all of my friendships...including yours.

bp said...

I just don't feel the same connection anymore. Message boards do not have the priority/importance to me they once did.